Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2011

rewind!

Rewind to last month. Autumn is the time when all the leaves turn orange, red, and yellow.. it starts to get a little chilly outside..and its time to break out the hot cocoa and pumpkin pie! mm! 

Grocery stores start selling their Halloween goodies. I love getting seasonal things because it's stuff you normally get, only cuter! Kraft has ghost marshmallows that I like to use for my hot chocolate. It makes me laugh.. it's like the ghosts have their own hot tub! hahaha

My mom's favorite ice cream is Rocky Road. My brother and I like plain chocolate. So to solve this problem we get chocolate ice cream and I make my mom her own flavor simply by adding sliced almonds and my lil ghost friends. Everybody wins! 
Photobucket

We went to Holmberg Orchards where they have all kinds of fruits and vegetables to stock up on. But of course, being that time of year, they are most popular for their pumpkins and apples.. or as we like to say in our home, "It's Papple Pickin Time!" 
Carving pumpkins is pretty easy if you make a simple design. You can get a pumpkin carving kit that comes with stencils and tools or you can just freehand a traditional jack o' lantern face. This year we were going for a scary theme so I made a skull, vampire, and Happy Haunting pumpkin.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I didn't know there were so many different types of apples. I thought it was only red and green! I don't know what we're going to do with all these, but we have apples for days!! One idea: We found a "caramel mix" so I wanted to try making caramel apples.
Photobucket
 Caramel Apples
6-8 medium size apples
caramel powder mix
1/2 stick of butter
1 cup heavy cream
sprinkles, nuts, crushed up candy (optional)
wooden sticks 
Photobucket
Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add 1c heavy cream. Stir in caramel mix. Bring to a rolling boil. Then turn down heat to medium and boil for 15-20 minutes. It will turn a light to med brown.
Photobucket
While that's boiling, push wooden sticks into apples. Crush up your candy if you're using any. Good things to try: Heath bars, butterscotch, m&m's.

Remove the caramel from heat. Dip each apple into the caramel and roll in/sprinkle with the Good Stuff!!

Photobucket
We used white and brown jimmies. Place on nonstick surface to harden. 
aaaaaand Tada!! Caramel apples like grandma used to make! Well, not my grandmas but somebody's grandma! hahaha

Photobucket
Hope you all got to do some Papple pickin or at least Papple cookin! 
Love, Lana

No comments:

Post a Comment